1.06.2012

Chapter 5

Hello friends and family.  Here's your holiday recap:

With Christmas came an abundance of orders for our magical 100% organic 100% estate grown 100% Kona coffee.  Additionally, we process for a handful of other small farms, and when you add it all up we were very busy.  Even as the only intern and thus understaffed I didn't mind.  It is good to feel useful, and the busyness was a distraction from from the fact that I was not at home with friends and family for the holidays for the first time in my life.  I'm not very sentimental, but it remains that the people that I love the most are in the Midwest.

A big development of the past couple of weeks was the conclusion to the Gorilla saga.  After about 2 weeks of hunting for parts, I finally got a call from the shop telling me that all of the parts needed could not be tracked down.  My options were to pay them for the bit of labor they had in it already and take home a junk bike, or trade it in towards something else.  Option B made me the proud daddy of a 1987 Honda Spree (the year I was born!), which is pretty identical to this one (same color scheme, and I even have a basket).  The goal now will be to sell it prior to my departure from the Big Island and try and cut some of my losses from the whole thing.  You all will be glad to know that it is oil-injected, so all I have to do is top it off every 3 or 4 tanks of gas.  I think even I can keep up with that.  

I experimented with some video from a helmet camera that my family gave me for my birthday.  Here is a sample.  All it is is the last couple of minutes I recorded; I'm a video editing novice and for the sake of a timely demonstration that was easiest for me.  The entire video is almost 2 hours long, and nobody really wants to see the whole thing, even if it is Hawaii.  I had turned around at a half tank of gas and rode into the gas station on fumes, which is why I mention in the video that "I'm glad we turned around when we did."  Just FYI.  Enjoy, and stay tuned for some more elaborate and intentional reels.  

The other story line here in this quaint little epic has been the arrival of four more house guests.  Beryl's daughter Sarah and niece Rachel arrived about a week ago and uprooted my stay in the studio (back to the main house with me).  Sarah will be going to school and Rachel working off the farm.  A few days later George and Carol from Alaska arrived, and yes, they know Sarah Palin.  They are very gentle spirits and a joy to work with.  Overall, it has been a positive change since any and all social interaction is welcome.  

Right now I need to go pick up Daniela from the airport.  Sorry for the more informational nature of this post, as I know you all enjoy my existential ramblings.  Maybe next time.


1 comment: